Peppermint is one of the most widely used essential oils. It has a wide range of uses and is a valuable addition to your natural medicine arsenal. It can help support digestive and respiratory health, freshen breath, relieve headaches, and repel insects.
Components of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Carminative (anti-flatulence)
- Insect repellant
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Provides headache relief
- Provides muscle tension relief
- Repels insects
- Freshens breath
- Soothes digestive issues
- Provides mental focus
- Provides relief from respiratory symptoms
- Increases energy
- Helps relieve nausea and vomiting
- Helps clear up acne
- Helps relieve allergy symptoms
- Helps soothe joint discomfort related to arthritis
- Cleanses the lungs and helps relieve asthma symptoms
- Relieves pain and inflammation associated with burns
- Detoxifies and cleans your home
- Provides relief from cramps
- Soothes a sore throat
- Promotes hair growth
How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil
- Dilute and apply a few drops to sore muscles.
- Dilute and rub a few drops on temples and back of neck to relieve headaches.
- Dilute and apply a few drops to chest and back of neck to relieve respiratory symptoms.
- Diffuse to provide respiratory relief and mental clarity.
- Rub a few drops in your hands, cup your hands over your nose, and inhale deeply for a quick energy boost.
- Dilute and apply a few drops to back of neck for quick, cooling relief from hot flashes.
- Diffuse several drops during allergy season to provide relief from symptoms.
- Dilute and apply to temples and forehead for sinus pressure relief.
- Add a drop to toothpaste to freshen breath.
- Add 1 drop each of peppermint, ginger, fennel and lemon essential oils to a glass of water for acid reflux relief.
- Add 4 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, and thyme essential oils to boiling water. Place a towel over your head and inhale deeply (when safely cooled) to relieve respiratory symptoms.
- Add to homemade cleaning products for a fresh scent and strong antimicrobial effects.
- Dilute and rub a few drops over abdomen to relieve gas and constipation.
- Add 1 drop to a spoonful of honey and hot water and drink to improve energy and focus.
- Add 1 drop each of peppermint and rosemary to shampoo to invigorate your scalp and promote healthy hair.
- Make a sore throat gargle by adding 1-2 drops peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon salt to warm water. Gargle and spit out. Repeat several times a day.
Making Blends with Peppermint Essential Oil
Diffusing essential oils is a convenient, easy, safe, and fun way to experience their benefits. Diffusing essential oils will make your house smell amazing, clean and purify the air, and improve your health as you breathe the molecules into your body. Here are some blends to get you started. Feel free to experiment and find your favorite blend.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and basil to create a focused environment for homework.
- Add 3 drops each of peppermint and wild orange for a bright and fresh morning.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and lemon for an energized and welcoming environment.
- Add 3 drops each peppermint and eucalyptus to open up congested airways.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, and lime for a mood enhancing, happy environment.
- Add 1 drop each peppermint and lemon, and 2 drops each grapefruit and lavender for a fresh summer scent.
- Add 3 drops peppermint and 1 drop each lavender, eucalyptus, and wild orange to relieve congested sinuses.
- Add 2 drops each peppermint and lavender, and 1 drop each of eucalyptus and rosemary for headache relief.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, and lemon to relieve congestion.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, frankincense, and lime to create an invigorating and focused environment.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and frankincense to boost intelligence.
- Add 3 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and lemon for allergy relief.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, spearmint, citronella, and lemongrass to deter insects.
- Add 2 drops peppermint and 4 drops lime for a mojito-scented pick me up.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and vetiver to stay focused and get things done.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, and grapefruit for a happy day.
Further Reading and Resources
There are 350 research references on peppermint essential oil on PubMed.
Safety and Disclaimer
Essential oils are very concentrated and potent. Only use a few drops at a time. Dilute with a carrier oil before applying to skin.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should use caution and consult their physician before using essential oils.
Only use pure essential oils from a reliable source. Do not ingest oils from an untrusted source.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
How Do You Use Essential Oils?
What is your favorite way to use peppermint essential oil? Leave a comment below and share your best tips!
Are you new to essential oils and want to learn more? Let’s talk! Schedule a time here.