Peppermint essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the peppermint plant. It is one of the most widely used essential oils. Peppermint has a wide range of uses and is a valuable addition to your natural medicine arsenal. It can help support digestive and respiratory health, freshen breath, relieve headaches, and repel insects.
Download Beginner’s Guide to Essential Oils to learn about the healing properties of essential oils and how to use them.
Components of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Carminative (anti-flatulence)
- Insect repellant
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Provides headache relief
- Provides muscle tension relief
- Repels insects
- Freshens breath
- Soothes digestive issues
- Provides mental focus
- Provides relief from respiratory symptoms
- Increases energy
- Improves mood
- Helps relieve nausea and vomiting
- Helps clear up blemished skin
- Helps relieve symptoms during seasonal threats
- Helps soothe joint discomfort
- Cleanses the lungs and helps relieve respiratory symptoms
- Relieves pain and inflammation associated with burns
- Soothe and relieve sunburn
- Detoxifies and cleans your home
- Provides relief from cramps
- Soothes a sore throat
- Promotes hair growth
How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil
- Dilute and apply a few drops to sore muscles.
- Dilute and rub a few drops on temples and back of neck to relieve headaches.
- Dilute and apply a few drops to chest and back of neck to relieve respiratory symptoms.
- Diffuse to provide respiratory relief and mental clarity.
- Rub a few drops in your hands, cup your hands over your nose, and inhale deeply for a quick energy boost.
- Dilute and apply a few drops to back of neck for quick, cooling relief from hot flashes.
- Diffuse several drops during allergy season to provide relief from symptoms.
- Dilute and apply to temples and forehead for sinus pressure relief.
- Add a drop to toothpaste to freshen breath.
- Add 1 drop each of peppermint, ginger, fennel, and lemon essential oils to a glass of water for acid reflux relief.
- Add 4 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, and thyme essential oils to boiling water. Place a towel over your head and inhale deeply (when safely cooled) to relieve respiratory symptoms.
- Add to homemade cleaning products for a fresh scent and strong antimicrobial effects.
- Dilute and rub a few drops over abdomen to relieve gas and discomfort.
- Add 1 drop to a spoonful of honey and hot water and drink to improve energy and focus.
- Add 1 drop each of peppermint and rosemary to shampoo to invigorate your scalp and promote healthy hair.
- Make a sore throat gargle by adding 1-2 drops peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon salt to warm water. Gargle and spit out. Repeat several times a day.
- Inhale or take a drop internally prior to, or in between meals to suppress appetite.
Making Blends with Peppermint Essential Oil
Diffusing essential oils is a convenient, easy, safe, and fun way to experience their benefits. Diffusing essential oils will make your house smell amazing, clean and purify the air, and improve your health as you breathe the molecules into your body. Here are some blends to get you started. Feel free to experiment and find your favorite blend.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and basil to create a focused environment for homework.
- Add 3 drops each of peppermint and wild orange for a bright and fresh morning.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and lemon for an energized and welcoming environment.
- Add 3 drops each peppermint and eucalyptus to open up congested airways.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, and lime for a mood enhancing, happy environment.
- Add 1 drop each peppermint and lemon, and 2 drops each grapefruit and lavender for a fresh summer scent.
- Add 3 drops peppermint and 1 drop each lavender, eucalyptus, and wild orange to relieve congested sinuses.
- Add 2 drops each peppermint and lavender, and 1 drop each of eucalyptus and rosemary for headache relief.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, and lemon to relieve congestion.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, frankincense, and lime to create an invigorating and focused environment.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and frankincense to boost intelligence.
- Add 3 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and lemon for allergy relief.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, spearmint, citronella, and lemongrass to deter insects.
- Add 2 drops peppermint and 4 drops lime for a mojito-scented pick me up.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and vetiver to stay focused and get things done.
- Add 2 drops each of peppermint, wild orange, and grapefruit for a happy day.
Essential oils play a powerful role in emotional healing. For true healing to happen, unresolved emotions need to be brought to the surface. We must release trapped, negative emotions before we can receive positive ones.
Peppermint is the Oil of a Buoyant Heart
Peppermint brings joy and buoyancy to the heart and soul. It invigorates body, mind, and spirit and reminds individuals that life can be happy, and they don’t have to be controlled by fear. It lifts an individual out of their emotional trials for a short reprieve. When an individual uses Peppermint, they feel as though they’re gliding through life. It assists in staying on the surface of emotional issues like floating on top of water.
The power of Peppermint can be felt most in times of discouragement or despair. When the individual is disheartened, they may use Peppermint to rediscover the joy of being alive.
Chocolate Mint Smoothie
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 scoop Chocolate Trim Shake
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup ice
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Drink and enjoy
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
- 3 cups organic, dark chocolate chips
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/4 cup organic, grass-fed butter
- 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Melt chocolate chips, sweetened condensed coconut milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Pour into well-greased 8×8-inch glass baking dish.
- Refrigerate until set.
Foaming Hand Soap
- 1/4 cup unscented Castille soap
- 3/4 cup distilled water
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops wild orange essential oil
- Mix soap and water together in small bowl
- Add in essential oils.
- Pour into a foaming hand soap dispenser.
Recipes from the doTERRA blog
My Personal Favorite Ways to Use Peppermint Essential Oil
I rub a few drops on the back of my neck when I am hot or irritated. It brings an instant cooling sensation.
I use it diluted on my kids’ temples when they have a headache. It works really well for them.
I use it in a roller ball with lemon and lavender to help relieve sneezing, runny noses and watery eyes.
My absolute favorite way to use peppermint essential oil is adding a drop to my morning coffee. It tastes amazing, it supports my digestion, and it helps me feel energized when I wake up at 4:00 am. You can read more about how I turn my morning coffee into a superfood here.
Beginners Guide to Essential Oils
Learn more about the healing benefits of essential oils and how to use them with this free guide: Beginners Guide to Essential Oils
Science and Research
You can find research articles by clicking on the following links.
Information for this article was extracted from:
Safety and Disclaimer
Essential oils are very concentrated and potent. Only use a few drops at a time. Dilute with a carrier oil before applying to skin.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should use caution and consult their physician before using essential oils.
Only use pure essential oils from a reliable source. Do not ingest oils from an untrusted source.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.