Lemon essential oil is a simple, natural, and inexpensive substance that can be used for detoxification, digestion, weight loss, cleaning, skin health, and mood enhancement.
Components of Lemon Essential Oil
- Carminative (relieves flatulence)
- High Vitamin Content
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
- Supports detoxification of the air and body
- Used as a natural cleaning agent
- Improves mood and concentration
- Freshens the air
- Raises spiritual awareness
- Relieves heartburn and indigestion
- Enhances immunity
- Works to stimulate or calm the mind and body, depending on what is needed
- Alleviates nausea and morning sickness
How To Use Lemon Essential Oil
- Add a drop to a glass of water to improve taste, relieve indigestion, support detoxification, increase metabolism, and decrease sugar cravings.
- If drinking tap or some other source of water that is not pure, add a drop of lemon oil to disinfect the water.
- Avoid using plastic cups when adding essential oils. The potent oils can break down the plastic.
- Mix with a carrier oil and rub on fingernails to soften cuticles and brighten nails.
- Place a drop in your hand, rub hands together, cup hands over nose and inhale to clear nasal and sinus passages.
- Add a few drops to a diffuser to add a fresh scent, purify the air, and increase concentration.
- Use a few drops on a dry cloth to remove crayon marks from walls.
- Use a few drops as “Goo Gone” to remove adhesives, labels, and stickers.
- Make an all-purpose cleaner using a glass spray bottle, 1 1/2 cups distilled water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 25 drops lemon essential oil.
- Add a few drops to hot water and honey to soothe a sore throat.
- Add a few drops to softened butter to use on fish or steamed veggies.
- Add a few drops to lemon flavored desserts for extra flavor and health benefits.
- Use to treat acne or other problem skin conditions.
- Add a drop directly to a wart or callus.
- Use a few drops to disinfect a dishcloth.
- Add a few drops to equal parts coconut oil and baking soda for an all natural toothpaste and tooth whitener.
- This paste (see above) can also be used for a skin detoxifying and brightening scrub. Gently apply to dry face and rinse with warm water.
Making Blends With Lemon Essential Oil
Essential oils have synergistic effects when mixed with other oils. Lemon’s bright, fresh scent blends well with many other essential oils. Here are some diffuser blends to try:
- Add 2 drops each of lemon, lavender, and peppermint to a diffuser for a really fresh smell and to alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon and wild orange for a quick pick me up.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon and peppermint to increase concentration.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon, lavender, and rosemary for a clean and inviting scent.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon and lavender for a calm and focused mind.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon, lime, and melaleuca to freshen and clean the air.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus, and melaleuca to relieve congestion.
- Add 4 drops of lemon, 1 drop of basil, and 1 drop of spearmint to make your house smell like lemonade.
- Add 2 drops lemon, 3 drops wild orange, 2 drops lime, and 1 drop grapefruit for a citrus bomb.
- Add 2 drops each of lemon, peppermint, and vetiver for focus and concentration. Great for homework time!
Further Resources and Reading
Click here for further information and research on essential oils: Pubmed:
Safety and Disclaimer
Essential oils are very concentrated and potent. Only use a few drops at a time. Dilute with a carrier oil before applying to skin.
Lemon essential oil can cause photosensitivity. Do not use directly on skin prior to spending time in the sun.
Only use pure therapeutic grade essential oils from a reliable source. Do not ingest oils from an untrusted source.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.