Lavender is one of the most versatile of all essential oils. In fact, it has been used for medicinal and religious reasons for 2,500 years. It is well known for its calming and sleep inducing effects. It is also used to help with skin disorders, pain relief, respiratory symptoms, and digestive disorders.
Components of Lavender Essential Oil
- Carminative (anti-flatulence)
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Decreases nervous tension
- Provides pain relief
- Repels bugs and insects
- Helps relieve headaches
- Supports immunity
- Induces sleep
- Supports skin health
- Relieves emotional stress
- Treats acne
- Treats lice
- Provides sunburn relief
- Supports healing of wounds and skins infections
- Supports brain health
- Supports healthy aging
- Promotes balanced blood sugar
- Supports healthy blood pressure levels
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil
- Combine with frankincense to reduce appearance of age spots.
- Combine with peppermint and apply to back of neck, temples, and forehead for headache relief.
- Rub on bottoms of feet before bed to induce sleep.
- Add a few drops to wool dryer balls to freshen the laundry.
- Add to Epsom salts for a relaxing, calming, sleep-inducing bath.
- Add to bathwater to reduce fevers.
- Add to clay masks to deliver potent antioxidants to skin.
- Use a few drops in boiling water for steam inhalation to relieve sinus infections.
- Apply to nails infected with fungus.
- Soak feet in lavender infused water to promote relaxation and treat foot fungus.
- Add several drops to water spray bottle and use as an air freshener.
- Mix with a carrier oil and apply to chapped lips.
- Rub into scalp to treat dandruff.
- Massage into skin around ears (not inside the ear) to relieve earache pain.
Making Blends with Lavender Essential Oil
Diffusing is a simple and effective way to experience the many benefits of essential oils. When the oils are evaporated into the air, they purify the air and provide you with their specific emotional or physical benefits. Here are some blends to get you started, but feel free to experiment and mix it up.
- Add 2 drops each of lavender, lemon, and rosemary for an inviting, clean, and fresh scent.
- Add 2 drops each of lavender, lemon, and peppermint to help relieve allergy symptoms.
- Add 2 drops lavender, 2 drops chamomile, and 1 drop geranium for a relaxing floral scent.
- Add 2 drops each of lavender, chamomile, and vetiver for a restful night of sleep.
- Add 2 drops each of lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang to help calm nerves and relieve stress.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, lime, and sweet orange for calming and relaxation.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, geranium, and bergamot to improve mood and feelings of happiness.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, frankincense, and vetiver to induce sleep.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender and grapefruit and 2 drops each of lemon and spearmint for a refreshing summer scent.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, wild orange, and chamomile to help kids get to sleep.
- Add 3 drops lavender and 4 drops cedarwood to wind down and fall asleep.
- Add 2 drops each of lavender, wild orange, and ylang-ylang to feel happy.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, frankincense, and wild orange to help relieve stress and tension.
Further Resources and Reading
You can find 533 research articles on lavender essential oil here on PubMed.
Safety and Disclaimer
Essential oils are very concentrated and potent. Only use a few drops at a time. Dilute with a carrier oil before applying to skin.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should use caution and consult their physician before using essential oils.
Only use pure essential oils from a reliable source. Do not ingest oils from an untrusted source.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
How Do You Use Essential Oils?
What is your favorite way to use lavender essential oil? Leave a comment below and share your best tips!
Are you new to essential oils and want to learn more? Let’s talk! Schedule a time here.